Wednesday, 1 August 2012

Delirium [Delirium Trillogy #1] - Lauren Oliver



“They say that the cure for love will make me happy and safe forever. And I’ve always believed them. Until now. Now everything has changed. Now, I’d rather be infected with love for the tiniest sliver of a second than live a hundred years smothered by a lie.” 

Synopsis:

Lena is a 17 year old with a problem, all her life she had looked forward to the day where she would be free, cured of  amor deliria nervosa also known as love. 95 days left to the cure something, someone unexpected happens, Alex. Now Lena is forced to choose between the life she had always known and the man she loves.

Review:

I came upon this book in a bookstore once and ignored it… what can I say the cover while intriguing was bland and yes we have already established that I am extremely shallow when it came to book covers. So the other night watching an episode of Family Guy I had seen about a thousand times before I decided to be impulsive and buy the book on my kindle.

Reading the synopsis I was intrigued by it, the idea of a world that combined a scientifically advanced civilization with Victorian ideology of love and marriage seemed like an amazing setting. I have read the dystopian genre before in fact ‘The hunger games’ and ‘The declaration’ are one of my favorite books so I already had some expectations reading this book. The book was easy to read in the sense that it flowed really well; I found I could read it without my attention wondering too much but I was not glued to the page… I could put the book down and enjoy doing trivial things in the middle of the book.  

My problem with this book was that it was not believable. Let’s face it who has not wanted to abolish love while crying over Ben and Jerry’s (assuming that’s what you do when your broken hearted, I myself prefer the throwing a beloved object at the door hoping to hate his ass more for inadvertently destroying the said object) but it seemed the entire United States bought into the ‘love is illegal’ thing much too quietly especially when it has only been 64 years since its abolishment. The people seemed too zombiefied and emotionless.

The one other thing that added to the unrealism of the situation is the economy of the country; yes I hate to be a stick in the mud by pointing it out but how does the country function by closing its borders so completely. Even a country as big as the USA depends on imports, once again the people have no problem being confined in one country as if they are all just brainwashed followers.

Despite that there are a few lights in the dark, Hanna. I absolutely adored her, the model wannabe rebel. I think I would have preferred her as a main character. I liked the physical aspects of Lena and Alex’s relationship, meaning I loved the chemistry, in fact there were few moments in the book that had butterflies flapping in my stomach.

So here comes the verdict

Easy to read but unconvincing world, I can’t say I am a massive fan of this book but curious enough to attempt Pandemonium, I can’t say I would finish it but here we go.
I give this book 3 out 5 stars because while the idea of a world without love is intriguing, it failed to portray a realistic and convincing world.

Product Detail

Hardcover: 400 pages
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton (3 Feb 2011)
Language: English
Author's Website: www.laurenoliverbooks.com
ISBN-10: 0340980915
ISBN-13: 978-0340980910

No comments:

Post a Comment